Monday, May 19, 2008

The News From Buckeye Lake

* I tried to post this last night but couldn't get internet access until this morning. Are we in the 21st century or what?!?

We started the yesterday morning raining and looking for a WallsMart. All I can say is I'm so glad we were not tent camping last night (meaning 5/17). As soon as we pulled into our campsite and Bo plugged in the RV, a downpour started. The idea of trying to pitch a tent in that kind of rain sends shivers down my spine.

Anyway, our refrigerator is not working and we needed a waterproof cooler. But how bad off are we when we have a cell phone, iPod, laptop, GPS and a WallyWorld every 10 miles? Driving through Pennsylvania yesterday, the houses were few and far between. Bo asked me if I could live in such a rural area. I said I need my Starbucks. He pointed out a trailer with a sign that read "Espresso Express, A Drive Thru Cafe" (is a drive thru on a trailer an oxymoron?) No, I told Bo, that's not good enough. I need free trade, shade grown coffee where the proceeds go to finance micro businesses in underdeveloped countries. I expect a lot from my coffee these days.

Yesterday we got on the road about 10:00 am We stopped for lunch in Clarion, PA. After lunch, Bo said I should have a go at driving. Not ten minutes later, I was driving through a monster hail storm. I should have seen this as the omen it was (more on that later). We pulled over to wait out the storm and then drove through to Youngstown, OH. From there, we went south towards Wheeling, WV along the Ohio River. It was really a beautiful drive. Lots of vistas, trees and huge, old factories and coal plants. The only word I can think to describe them is majestic but I'm not sure why. Bo said he was impressed by how expansive the plants and factories were, but how the towns birthed by them seem to be dying. It was like we were passing the remnant of an industrial giant.

My omen came to pass in Wheeling. We were headed south on Route 7 and needed to pick up Interstate 70. I, however, misjudged a turn and went up Route 250. For those of you not intimately familiar with Wheeling, Route 250 is a narrow road with no shoulders and a steep incline. This is normally not a big issue unless you are driving a 30' long by 10' wide vehicle that maneuvers like a pregnant woman in the morning (I speak from experience). We finally get to the top of Mt. Sinai Route 250 and find a gentleman to get directions from. We ask how to get to I-70 and he says just go back down the hill. I was hoping he wouldn't say that. So like a tank trying to go down a roller coaster track, we go back down Route 250.

The kids have been great. I'm really surprised by how they've taken to this trip. The only one not really into it is Baby because he can't run around and break things as much as he's used to. Hopefully, tomorrow we can post some pictures they've been taking.

Today we're off to St. Louis, MO (pray for us because this is the longest part of the trip) I've been through Pennsylvania and Ohio quite a few times but tomorrow I step off into new territory and I'm quite jazzed about it.

1 comment:

GE is me said...

As your husband & I are former Ohioans, quite frankly I'm surprised y'all a)stopped @ Buckeye lake & b)admitted that you stopped there.
:) :) :)
Sounds like y'all are having a good time & taking all the adventures in stride(i.e. leaking A/C). Miss you!
Thanks for letting me live vicariously through you. :)
-G