Monday, May 19, 2014

Things I've Learned.

Things I've learned after two weeks on the road (posted by Bo Hunkmeister):

1) The Luray, Virginia KOA in the Shenandoah Valley is one of the most beautiful campsites I've ever stayed in. (the KOA in Enfield, NC is for sale if anyone is interested).

2) I can't believe I'm starting to look forward to "Adventures in Odyssey" episodes during the morning drive time.

3) 100 miles of driving is about all my middle-aged legs can handle before they start cramping up.

4) I'm seriously coveting my neighbor's RV (all of them).

5) I can't believe I'm going to be thankful to get 12 MPG again once I stop hauling a 25 foot trailer.

6) After 20 miles, my son in the row directly behind me who is sucking on a jaw breaker sounds like an industrial washing machine.

7) When filling a 28-gallon gas tank, one should be able to lock the pump nozzle and walk away to clear the 10 pounds of bugs that have accumulated on the windshield instead of standing next to the pump breathing in the gas fumes (I'm looking at you, Rhode Island and Massachusetts).

8) Despite my intermittent losses of temper, I'm enjoying the extended time with my family.

9) Yard sales are a great way to entertain yourself while on a road trip. And cheaper than most other roadside attractions.

10) Chick-Fil-A is the cheapest place to feed a family of eight and still feel good about the quality of food. Word of caution: go easy on the waffle fries if you're going to be together in an enclosed space afterwards.

11) Taco-in-a-bag should be the next menu item at Taco Bell. Or a new food truck.

12) A Ziplock baggie with one of the corners snipped off makes a handy funnel.

13) The peach fritters at Peach World (exit 58 off Route 95 in Georgia) are worth the stop. I'm not kidding, they're as big as your head.

14) I'm starting to learn how to take each day as it comes instead of worrying about tomorrow. I hope I can carry this over into my non-vacation life.

No comments: