Monday, May 5, 2014

Packing

Home Sweet Home



I woke up at 3:00am thinking of things I needed to pack. No one should be up at 3:00am unless they're in labor. Or helping someone in labor. Thankfully I fell back asleep until a large dog started barking incessantly at 6:30am. Never had the desire to throttle a living creature been so strong.

We were due to pick up the rig at 2:00pm. I figured it would take us at least until 12:00pm to tell the boys we were going on a trip and then to get them and the van packed. To my great surprise, everyone was packed and ready to go by 10:00am. And by ready to go I mean they were in the van buckled in their seats. Bo had to go outside and explain to everyone that we couldn't leave until we got the call from the rental place that the rig was ready. So unless the kids wanted to spend the next four hours sitting in the van, they should come inside. I thought we should have seen how long they would have stayed out in the van until they realized we weren't leaving just yet.

We were finally able to get the trailer at 3:30pm. After a review of how to use the utilities on the rig, I asked the rental guy how high the rig was. He said 13'-6". Then we hitched up the rig and left. On our way to our first destination, Camp Iacobbo, we came upon an over pass with a sign saying, "Clearance 11'-6""

"WAIT!" TURN LEFT!!" I yelled.

The ever talented Bo Hunkmeister was able to hang a quick left into a large parking lot while I told him what our trailer height was.

"But if the guy said 13'-6", that's almost twice the height of our van." he said.

"You know, I didn't think of it that way." I said.

So we both got out and Bo, who cleverly thought to bring some tools, got out a tape measure and we measured the thing. Ten feet including the air conditioning unit on top. Having assured ourselves of adequate clearance, we still proceeded slowly through the over pass listening for that tell tale scrape. Thankfully, there was none.

We safely arrived at the Iacobbo's house at 5:00pm to prep the rig with our stuff, eat pizza, wish their daughter a hale and hearty happy birthday.

It's now 9:00pm. Things are quieting down now as the boys try to fall asleep and the girls spend some time with the Iacobbos, but we need to make it an early bedtime for everyone because tomorrow, we're off bright and early for Jersey.






No comments: