Sunday, May 11, 2014

Day 6, I think

After a night at the Swamp Fox Campground in Florence, SC (I'm not sure why the swamp theme but go with it), we shoved onto our last stop before glory, Kingsland GA. Thankfully it was a short mileage day. This allowed us the luxury of stopping at a roadside stand called Peach World. Just about anything you could think of to make with a peach, they had. The peaches were wonderful, the fritters lovely, the praline pecans like crack, but you can keep the boiled peanuts. Like the overly salty country ham, there are just some culinary delights I cannot understand.

We spent the night at the Kingsland KOA in Georgia. I'm so happy we got in early here. They had a pool which was positively refreshing after a day of driving. The kids also partook of a hay ride and a rather raucous bingo game. The next morning was a free waffle breakfast. It's funny how KOA's can range from being nothing more than parking in someone's front yard to being like a cruise ship on land - more activities than you have time for.

We left Kingsland shortly after breakfast, and made it to Disney around 3:00pm. Boy howdy am I glad we got here early.

It took us 30 minutes just to check in so we could understand where we were headed. "Is this your first time here?!?" asked the gate clerk. When we said yes, she handed us buttons that said "First Time at Disney" with our names and dates on it. We might as well have written "Newbie!!" on our foreheads. She then told us about the Fast Pass system and restaurant reservations. I told her I didn't want to schedule things because I was on vacation. "Oh, honey," she said, "You're not on vacation, you're at Disney!" She proceeded to fill us in on how to do Disney and this is about when my head exploded. I have vague recollections of Buttercup soothing me with, "It'll be alright, Mama, it'll be alright." I don't know if it's the six year old inside of me that just doesn't like being told what to do, or the notion that my vacation, wherein I vacate my daily grind of schedules and timetables, would have to be scheduled as well.

Once we got the RV to our campsite and plugged in, we decided to take a walk around. We went to the snack shop near the pool. Here the cashier said, "Is this your first time to Disney?!?" then patiently explained the arm band/meal plan situation to us. We acquired our refillable mugs (with RFID chips inside?!?) and had some snacks. While wandering around the store in a daze, Bo made us some dinner reservations.

We took the courtesy shuttle to the restaurant which was a western themed buffet. Again the waitress said, "Is this your first time at Disney?!?" I was beginning to think we were living in an alternate reality. I ordered a sangria and tossed it back pretty quick as our waitress gave us some helpful hints (maybe you should get out more, stop hiding under rocks, etc. - no, just kidding). We had a nice dinner, the highlight of which was watching Baby realize an "all you can eat buffet" really means all you can eat. He had two desserts. I think this might be the best day of his life so far.

We took a shuttle back and at our stop, the bus driver held up traffic so we could cross the street. I tell you one thing, these Disney folks are nothing if not helpful.

So we've settled in for the evening. Bo is doing some laundry and then we'll formulate a plan of attack for tomorrow. Hopefully we won't stick out like the plebes we are and my head won't explode.

No comments: